API tests automation – Why it is important
Why API tests automation should be considered over GUI test automation?
* Automating API tests takes less time to develop and helps team to achieve testing in the speed of agile.
* Automated API tests executes faster than GUI tests and helps team to get results quickly.
* Well defined automated API tests are easy to maintain and helps to find defects by doing early evaluation of products.
* Since there is no GUI and browser components involved, they are less brittle.
* API tests can be written to test integrated services/system as well as individual and third party services.
* These tests can be extended to test load and performance testing scenarios.
* API tests automation requires less code, provides faster test results and better test coverage. Overall testing cost is reduced.
However we need GUI tests focusing on testing an application user interface to ensure that its functionality is correct. GUI tests cannot be eliminated as whole but can be reduced in numbers.